You can’t go wrong with a good vanilla cupcake. Simple, sweet, moist and unoffensive; you can dress a vanilla cupcake up with any flavor of frosting or filling or go for the classic vanilla cupcake with vanilla frosting combo.
I was craving something fruity and had a bag of frozen raspberries in the freezer begging to be used. I decided to make a vanilla cupcake with vanilla frosting and a thick raspberry filling. While filled cupcakes can seem complex, the cake, frosting, and filling recipes are very easy to follow. I was very happy with how these cupcakes turned out and they received great reviews from friends. Enjoy!
wet ingredients creamed together
dry ingredients mixed
the batter (before I added the milk)
vanilla frosting ingredients
raspberry filling ingredients
getting ready to fill the cupcakes (I use an apple corer to make my holes but you can also use a serrated knife)
filling the cupcakes
|Raspberry Filled Vanilla Cupcakes|
- Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups flour or gluten free substitute
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup milk
- Raspberry Filling
- 1 1/2 cups raspberries
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Vanilla Frosting
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325ºF
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, set aside.
- Place butter and sour cream into the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix until combined.
- Add in the egg, mix until just combined, add in the egg yolks and mix again until just combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix in the vanilla.
- Mix 1/3 of the flour mixture into the wet mixture, followed by 1/2 of the milk. Do this twice, ending with the last 1/3 of flour mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Mix all ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Place over medium high heat and stir continually until desired thickness is reached.
- Allow to cool before filling cupcakes or using as a garnish.
- Using the whisk attachment, beat butter on high until smooth and creamy.
- Add in the powdered ship and mix until completely incorporated.
- Beat in the vanilla.